A booming industry in Québec City's metropolitan region
||CDN billion estimated in sales
||centers, research chairs, clusters and institutes
Data compiled for the Québec City metropolitan region
With a state-of-the-art expertise in biopharmaceuticals, diagnostics, natural health products (cosmeceuticals and nutraceuticals), medical technologies and information technologies related to health, the Québec City metropolitan region is ideally positioned for a growing market. The global market of pharmaceutical products alone should double before 2020 to reach CDN $1.8 billion (PricewaterhouseCoopers 2010)-and the life sciences industry in the Québec City metropolitan region is set to reap the benefits.
Leaders with state-of-the-art expertise
The Québec City metropolitan region is distinguished by leaders and innovative companies with state-of-the-art expertise:
- Biopharmaceuticals and diagnostics: AEF Global, BD Diagnostics, Endoceutics, Feldan Therapeutics, Folia Biotech, GlaxoSmithKline, inVentiv Health Clinique, Maresins Pharma, Medicago, Nordic Life Science Pipeline, OmegaChem, Pharmalab, Silicycle, SyntBioLab
- Medical and health information technologies: Asentri, B-Temia, DoMedic, GenePOC, Gydle, Icentia, Moore Med-Tech, Myca, Onsens, Orthofab, PetalMD, Prehos, Steris Corporation, Solutions Hospitalis, True Positive Medical Devices, TSO3, UmanoMedical
- Natural health and wellness products: Aliksir, Atrium Innovations, Bain Ultra, Biovelia, Dectro International, Epiderma, IFF - Lucas Meyer Cosmetics, Immanence Dermo Correction, Innovactiv, Khloros, Laboratoires Bio ForeXtra, Nutra Canada, Phytimpact
Key university hospital research centers
Investing in a favourable business environment
With a thriving life sciences industry, the Québec City metropolitan region benefits from ongoing and future investments (2010):
- Expansion and renovation of Hôtel-Dieu Hospital, Québec City - CDN $635 million
- Modernization of vaccine production facility, GSK - CDN $90 million
- New R&D Center and production facility, BD GeneOhm - CDN $50 million
- Otto Bock / Victhom Human Bionics - CDN $30 million
- Obesity research laboratories, CRIUCPQ - CDN $28 million
According to KPMG's 2010 Competitive Alternatives report, operating costs in the Québec City metropolitan region are lower than the average for North American cities in clinical trials (27%), biomedical R&D (20%) and manufacturing pharmaceuticals (6 %)-making it #1 in Canada and the United States.
For more information
Life sciences - Fact sheet
Vaccines, infectiology, development of new medications, clinical research, diagnostic tools, telehealth, medical equipment, clinical mobility, cosmeceuticals, nutraceuticals, functional foods, cardiology, pneumology, oncology, tissue engineering
Portrait of these industries in the Quebec City Region. Produced by Québec International.
Download the brochure